Yes, exactly. Get free SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt organization. Today, everyone wants their security, regarding websites and contents. Everyone wants secured connections now. Even the modern browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox recommending the SSL enables websites. Google Chrome giving the warnings on website if you don’t have any SSL certificate.
Free SSL Certificate Let’s Encrypt
The main barrier to move towards the SSL is the money we have to spent for it. But no worries. Let’s Encrypt is here for us. Let’s encrypt provides free SSL certificates with validity of 90 days, which you can easily or automatically renew using cron job. The ACME.sh client of Let’s Encrypt can issue the required certificates for your domains, and can setup to renew them automatically on expiration. So just pull your chair and sit back.
If you are going to generate the SSL certificates at your own. Then you need some access rights on your hosting services.
- SSH Access (root not required)
- Some command line skills
- Certificate uploading rights
How to install free SSL certificate Let’s Encrypt using ACME client
Let’s Encrypt provided the very simple and nice command line client for you called ACME.sh. You need to follow the steps and some commands for that.
- Login to your hosting domain using SSH (Linux by default equipped with SSH, in case of Windows you can use PuttySSH).
- Goto your root folder and install the ACME.sh client. Installation using Git is very simple and fast working method so I recommend you to use it.
git clone https://github.com/Neilpang/acme.sh.git
- Just issue a cert
For single domain :
acme.sh --issue -d example.com -w /home/wwwroot/example.com
For multiple domains :
acme.sh --issue -d example.com -d www.example.com -d cp.example.com -w /home/wwwroot/example.com
Now you have certificates in your directory which you can use for your domains.
- Download those certificates on your machine using your favourite FTP client (mine is Filezilla).
- Login to your hosting account having cPanel, plesk. There is certificate uploading utility.
- Upload the appropriate files which are 3 in numbers. Certificate into certificate, key into key and then intermediate bundle of CA. Your certificates are ready to assign now.
- Assign those certificates to the domains which you are mentioned while generating the certificates.
After DNS propogration, your site is successfully equipped with SSL certificate… HTTPS… Enjoy security!